Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Blog Tour: The Young Elites by Marie Lu (Review + Giveaway)



The Young Elites
by Marie Lu
Genre: Young Adult, Sci-Fi, Dystopia, Romance
Release Date: October 7, 2014
Publisher: G.P. Putnam’s Sons Books for Young Readers
Source: Borrowed
Links: Goodreads 
SYNOPSIS
I am tired of being used, hurt, and cast aside.

Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.
Teren Santoro works for the king. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it’s Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all.  
Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen. 
Adelina wants to believe Enzo is on her side, and that Teren is the true enemy. But the lives of these three will collide in unexpected ways, as each fights a very different and personal battle. But of one thing they are all certain: Adelina has abilities that shouldn’t belong in this world. A vengeful blackness in her heart. And a desire to destroy all who dare to cross her. 
It is my turn to use. My turn to hurt.

REVIEW
Adelina is a survivor of the blood fever, a lethal illness that swept through her nation when she was young. The blood fever caused thousands of deaths, and for those who survived, they were left with markings that signify them as malfettos. But for some of them, not only were they left with markings but also with daunting power. They are called The Young Elites. As Adelina discovers her powerful gift, the more she learns that the only person she can trust is herself.

I am a huge fan of Marie Lu’s the Legend trilogy. It’s one of the best trilogies I’ve ever read, and The Young Elites is, without a doubt, more different that the Legend Trilogy. It’s darker and sexier, but nonetheless, I still loved it. It’s one of my most awaited books this year, and it certainly was worth the wait..

One of my favorite things about reading Lu’s books is that her stories are very unpredictable. Having said that, The Young Elites is no exception. This book is also full of twists. There were many parts of the story that I did not expect. One of them being the plot twist near the end. That was a serious killer. It threw me off because I did not expect for Lu to take that turn. I actually almost stopped reading the book because of it, but because I had faith in Lu, I continued, and I’m so glad I did because the epilogue was able to redeem the book.

Lu’s writing was incredible. Her writing in the Young Elites is somewhat similar to her writing in the Legend trilogy but more descriptive. I liked that she added some quotes at the beginning of every chapter because it made the world building even better. From the quotes, the readers get to hold a grasp of the history, culture, and beliefs of the world Lu created.

I also loved the protagonist, Adelina. Not only is she a very complex character, but she also has an excellent character development. At the beginning, it was really evident that she was weak. She was always anxious about herself constantly fearing that she might her someone, but near the end of the book, we can see that she has grown into this fearless person who is not afraid of what she can do. With that, I’m really excited to see her at the second book because I’m sure that her character in the second book will be big leap from her character in the first book.

Adelina aside, the other characters were also remarkable. I particularly loved Enzo despite that his character felt flat to me at the beginning.  He was able to grow on me as I continued reading. I’m hoping we learn more about him in the next book because I feel like only bits of him were revealed in this book. I also liked Raffaele and Teren. Raffaele kind of reminded me of Finnick from The Hunger Games. And I loved Finnick, so yes. Teren has got to be the most interesting guy in the story. There are so many layers to his character. I feel like I should hate him because of what he did, but I just can’t help but pity him (probably because he reminded me of a more evil verison of the Darkling from Shadow and Bone, lol). Hopefully we get more of his chapters because I really enjoyed reading from his PoV and also because I want to know more about him.


Overall, Lu has once again managed to impress me.  Seriously, there are not enough words to express how much I LOVED The Young Elites. It had everything I wanted and more.  I’m giving it a solid 5 stars!

RATING



GIVEAWAY
a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment